Matches postponed by six City COVID-19 cases

Six players from A-League champions Men Melbourne City have tested positive for COVID-19, resulting in the postponement of one league game and two FFA Cup games.

Rapid antigenic tests detected all six cases on Tuesday morning and subsequent PCR tests confirmed the results.

City’s FFA Cup quarter-final against Wellington on Wednesday night has been postponed along with their A-League Men’s away game against Brisbane Roar on December 27.

In addition, the Melbourne Victory FFA Cup round of 16 to face the Gold Coast Knights have been postponed – after Victory players were potentially exposed to the coronavirus during Saturday’s Melbourne derby against City.

“The A-Leagues can confirm that six players from Melbourne City FC’s A-League men’s football department have tested positive for COVID-19 and are currently in isolation and all are currently feeling well,” the A- said. Leagues in a press release. .

“The case concerns doubly vaccinated individuals who tested positive in a PCR test on December 21 adopted after their daily rapid tests earlier today.

“Due to the number of cases, the A-Leagues have determined that Melbourne City’s scheduled away game against Brisbane Roar has been postponed.

“The club’s primary concern is the health and safety of all players, staff and their families. All positive cases and their relatives adhere to relevant state government health guidelines. “

City join Newcastle, Sydney FC, Western United, Perth Glory and Macarthur for confirming cases of COVID-19 in the past three weeks.

Wellington had announced on Wednesday morning that there were no cases or players considered close or casual contact.

Victory’s players and staff have all tested negative since the derby, as part of their cross-border travel needs for their planned trip to the Gold Coast for the game now postponed from Wednesday.

The ALM club were unwilling to take the risk that their team travel to Queensland for the FFA Cup match and potentially face Christmas in quarantine at the hotel.

A COVID-19 case at Glory last week had the entire club’s travel group considered close contacts and quarantined at a hotel in Brisbane for two weeks, due to strict rules of the Queensland.

Glory on Wednesday confirmed that their travel group, barring positive cases, would be able to catch a charter flight to Perth on Thursday and complete the remaining seven days of their quarantine period at home, after a deal was reached. with Queensland Health and WA. Health.

The player who tested positive must remain in Brisbane to complete his 14-day isolation period under strict quarantine.

Perth is expected to return to play in January, depending on its conditioning.

The win is next in action against Western United, which had three cases of COVID-19 last week, Boxing Day.

Comments are closed.